Accountant I, Excise Tax
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
Do you have a passion for Accounting? Do you like challenging accounting projects? If you answered yes to those questions, this might be the perfect job for you! Pilot company would like to add an Accountant I, to our Finance team to prepare and file monthly, quarterly and annual motor fuel excise tax returns.
In this role you will:
- Utilize IGEN software to prepare tax returns and create EDI files
- Perform tax research as needed to ensure tax implications are in accordance with state filing requirements
- Answers motor fuel tax questions by researching and interpreting state communications
- Reconciliation to tax liability accounts
- Maintains detailed communication regarding tax notices received
- Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in accounting, finance, or other business-related field
- One to three years of Excise Tax experience a plus!
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office Skills
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Ability to set priorities, multitask, meet deadlines, and resolve problems with a high sense of urgency
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay
- Onsite Gym
- Onsite Cafeteria
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines