Developer II, Web Applications
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
Pilot Company, Digital Development Team is seeking a Web Application Developer to join a highly agile web development team. This team oversees a diverse portfolio of web applications across multiple technology stacks to deliver high-value features for our customers and business partners.
This role offers an opportunity to leverage your existing skill set and become grounded in best development practices and the Pilot Flying J culture. You will be involved in, and greatly influence, all aspects of systems analysis & design, development, maintenance, and enhancement for web applications. You will architect, troubleshoot, and code within an agile and innovative culture.
You will help grow our web products and services, with a focus on our long-term technology roadmap. You can expect to solve problems, empower others, and positively impact the organization. We work in a friendly atmosphere where you must deliver, but where your teammates are at your side helping you when necessary, not to compete with you.
As we strive to make a better day for our team members and guests, we look to continually enhance our web
- Participate in the planning, analysis, creation, and design of web applications
- Create and develop features and functionality for scalable consumer web applications, applying independent judgement and professional expertise
- Create clean, maintainable, and tested code with supporting documentation and automated unit tests
- Provide input for application architecture, API contract and endpoint requirements, unit and integration testing, and third-party library integration
- Provide support for existing applications including troubleshooting and bug fixes
- Collaborate with support staff and other team members on the proper use and troubleshooting of applications
- Work closely with UI/UX designers, back-end developers, front-end developers, QA analysts, business analysts, and product managers in a highly collaborative and agile team environment
- Collaborate with business users to define and/or clarify requirements for new or modified features
- Assist with coordination of product releases with the team and management
- Assist team members through mentoring, collaboration, and code reviews
- Monitor industry trends and advocate for web development best-practices
- Identify technical debt and collaborate with other team members for the best path forward to mitigate and modernize the product and platforms
- Strong understanding of web accessibility guidelines, including ADA and WCAG
- Strong understanding of .NET, C#, Angular JS, CSS Grid, headless CMS platforms such as Contentstack or Contentful, JAMStack frameworks like Gatsby, Salesforce CRM, and Salesforce Lightning
- Minimum 3+ years in application development required or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years’ experience in web application development
- 1+ years’ experience in Agile/Scrum application development
- 3+ years’ experience integrating RESTful APIs, or similar technologies, and web services with applications
- Strong experience developing mobile-first responsive UIs, and knowledgeable of templating (Pug, Handlebars)
- Experience working with UI/UX designers and a desire to see their designs come to life in a browser
- Experience writing well-structured markup that is properly annotated to optimize for both SEO and a11y
- Intimate knowledge of CSS and CSS Preprocessors (SCSS/Stylus), Styled Components, and methodologies like BEM
- Experience with front-end debugging tools and methodologies in a cross-browser environment
- Experience writing automated unit tests
- Experience refactoring existing code to improve its quality, structure, and legibility
- Working knowledge of front-end state management and libraries like Redux or Vuex
- Experienced in working with and debugging front-end build systems and tooling like Gulp, Webpack, and Vite
- Knowledgeable of typed abstractions like TypeScript
- Ability to write and understand complex programming queries
- Ability to understand moderately complex business and technical solutions
- Ability to understand the fundamentals of computer science, specifically algorithms and data structures
- Ability to apply professional expertise to contribute to team objectives and outcomes as guided
- Ability to interpret established procedures and exercise judgment to resolve issues of medium complexity
- Ability to determine the best technology solutions to resolve problems
- Ability to utilize project management methodologies to achieve development objectives
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and solutions to non-technical users
- Ability to multi-task and handle changing priorities
- Ability to self-motivate and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with frequent production releases
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- One-team’ mentality
- Overnight travel required is up to 5%
- Nationwide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) and Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guideline