Director, Commercial Trading Technologies & Application Dev
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
The purpose of this job is to 1) serve as onsite technology director for our Energy and Trading business driving technology solutions, and 2) lead and direct an Information Technology (IT) development team, including vendors and contractors, for a fast-paced commercial commodities trading business.
1. Oversee, lead, and set priorities for the IT delivery teams supporting our commercial trading business across all functions.
2. Partner closely with business leaders to understand business needs and lead the creation of strategies and plans that drive commercial solution through technology, while ensuring trading regulatory compliance and improving inefficiencies.
4. Serve as a subject matter expert in trading, trade lifecycle, risk management, order management, and scheduling in complex system implementations.
5. Coordinate development of new application software as well as develop features and functionality for existing software.
6. Support troubleshooting and analysis of issues with applications, processes, data, and reports; to determine appropriate action to follow and resolve issues.
7. Coach, train and develop direct reports (includes appraising job performance and conducting performance reviews).
8. Communicate and collaborate with IT partners and cross-functional teams to facilitate the design and delivery of solutions that are cost effective, efficient, and forward thinking.
9. Lead oversight of third-party vendors’ work to ensure vendors fulfill contractual commitments and statements of work.
10. Maintains knowledge and keeps up to date of current industry trends and developing technologies.
11. Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level.
12. Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred; field of study in business or technology preferred
- Minimum ten years in IT or applications development for a commercial energy trading or energy commodities business.
- Minimum five year’s experience managing people preferred
- Knowledge and familiarity with core energy commodities trading and supporting applications, including Right Angle and Zema.
- Understanding of the trade lifecycle from order generation to execution to accounting and how to integrate trading components/technologies seamlessly into the trade lifecycle
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc) required
- Solid ETRM business knowledge and understanding of complicated system implementations
- Knowledge of Agile/Scrum project methodology
- Working knowledge of system integration methodologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of software development in a modern programming language required
- Intermediate knowledge of vendor management and contractual statements of work
- Ability to lead and motivate team
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills for diagnosis, evaluation, and resolution of complex problem situations
- Ability to work and make decisions independently to determine the appropriate course of action for issues and incidents
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to collaborate and build consensus within a team, fostering a positive atmosphere
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.