Engineer II, Big Data
Pilot Company is an industry-leading network of travel centers with more than 30,000 team members and over 750 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division serves as a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958 by Jim A. Haslam II and currently led by CEO Shameek Konar, our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated to fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The purpose of this job is to provide technical expertise for research, development and modification of data engineering processes and jobs in support of a Big Data infrastructure for Pilot Company.
- Research, develop, document, and modify Date Engineering processes and jobs per data architecture and modeling requirements; collaborate with Data Analytics team members such as Data Strategists and Data Scientists
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to understand data needs including data velocity, veracity, and access patterns
- Provide technical expertise to implement Data and Analytics specifications
- Serve on cross-functional project teams and provide perspective for the Data Analytics team on executing key deliverables
- Troubleshoot complex, escalated issues including connection, failed jobs, application errors, server alerts and space thresholds within predefined service level agreements (SLAs)
- Proactively maintain and tune all code according to internally documented Data Engineering standards and best practices
- Review and ensure appropriate documentation for all new development and modifications of the Data Lake processes and jobs
- Perform code and process reviews and oversee testing for solutions developed, and ensure integrity and security of institutional data
- Educate business stakeholders on the usage and benefits of the Data Lake/Lakehouse and related technologies
- Mentor and guide less experienced team members and provide feedback on project work
- Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information technology, or related field, required.
- Minimum three years of technology operations experience required.
- SQL knowledge and skills required
- Python knowledge and skills highly preferred
- Knowledge of Relational Databases like Oracle or SQL Server preferred
- Experience with Apache Spark or Spark-streaming, Message Queue, or related processing technologies preferred
- Knowledge of enterprise-level data modeling designs, such as Star and Dimensional types, required
- Experience with unified data platforms such as Databricks or Snowflake preferred
- Knowledge of Cloud Data platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure or Google Cloud preferred
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to identify solutions to complex data problems
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to learn and embrace new technologies
- Ability to mentor and motivate a diverse team; ensure the team and individual accountability and performance standards are met
- Ability to prioritize, multitask and manage multiple projects successfully in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with different levels of the organization to negotiate, problem solve, complete projects and influence decision making
- Self-motivated with ability to work both independently and within teams in order to establish and meet deadlines, goals, and objectives
- This position is on-site at our Knoxville, TN location
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption AssistanceTuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay
- Team Member Fuel Discounts
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 9d549ca2-c7b1-4169-817d-5cfe9485cecf