Engineer II, Industrial Automation
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have 750+ retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
The purpose of this position is to ensure safe, efficient reliable operation of process control systems and related instrumentation, including process historian databases, automated reports, distributed control systems, supervisory control and data acquisition systems (SCADAs), programmable logic controllers, human machine interface user interface products, and related devices and instrumentation.
In this role you will:
- Manage, provide upkeep, and develop automated reports and databases using programming languages such as VBA and SQL, as well as manage and oversee Historian databases at various facilities.
- Troubleshoot/resolve hardware and process issues.
- Optimize process controls/systems to maximize facility safety, efficiency and productivity.
- Ensure conformance of process control hardware and processes with the requirements of appropriate facility Process Hazard Analyses and safe operations documentation.
- Properly apply Process Safety Management standards, including Management of Change procedures to all process control hardware and process improvements.
- Review and approve scope of all work performed by third-party original equipment manufacturers, industrial control systems consultants, contractors and integrators to ensure safe, efficient performance of all work.
- Update facility standard operating procedures pursuant to updates/improvements in process control systems.
- Monitor performance of industrial process control systems, including but not limited to fuel processing equipment, vapor processing equipment, loading/unloading/blending equipment, SCADA systems, etc. and make adjustments to operating parameters as necessary to maintain safe, efficient Plant operations, maximize production and produce products that conform to applicable specifications/regulations.
- Utilize the industrial control system to capture, log and report facility performance data such as key performance indicators (KPIs) as directed by management.
- Plan process systems upgrades and preventative maintenance to ensure proper system performance, maintain third-party warranties/support and system cybersecurity.
- Ensure strict adherence to safe work practices, programs and permits for all employees, visitors, and contractors, including, but not limited practices, programs and permits pertaining to safe work, hot work, confined space entry/work, lockout/tagout, hydrogen sulfide monitoring/training, maintenance and use of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), fire monitoring, etc.
- Respond in a timely manner to all facility issues that adversely impact safe, efficient Plant operations, regulatory compliance or otherwise require the attention of an Industrial Controls Engineer.
- Ensure timely third-party inspection and repair of process control equipment.
- BS in Engineering, Materials Science or Physics or Equivalent Technical Background required
- BS in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- 2-4 years of industrial controls experience required
- Advanced knowledge in industrial process control systems and logic
- Process Safety Management experience required
- Demonstrated ability to apply mathematics, chemistry and process logic in an industrial process/production environment.
- Ability to take on and off a SCBA
* Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
* 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
* Adoption Assistance
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Weekly Pay