Engineer III, Database Development and Automation
Pilot Company is an industry-leading network of travel centers with more than 30,000 team members and over 750 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division serves as a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958 by Jim A. Haslam II and currently led by CEO Shameek Konar, our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated to fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The purpose of this job is to lead database automation and development projects, and provide a strategic vision that promotes security, performance, accessibility, sharing, integration, consistency, and quality for the company’s databases.
Under little supervision, works on projects of diverse scope and complexity including:
- Contribute to the database design of an application by strategizing, developing, documenting, and implementing a HADR solution for its database(s) that aligns with the application’s defined RTO and RPO requirements
- Provide database expertise, create, define, and document database standards and development best practices; ensure best practices are followed by performing regular code reviews with development teams
- Build pipelines for automated database code deployments and quality checks
- Create and maintain data modeling strategies
- Participate in reviewing and onboarding new database technologies, strategies, and/or processes
- Collaborate with application developers and database administrators to make recommendations for server and database configuration changes that could improve overall database performance
- Lead the design and development of database and database server migration techniques to allow database administrators to manage the database lifecycle with minimal interruptions to business continuity.
- Lead the design of scaling strategies for database environments, and work with the database administrators to test and implement
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of tools for management and monitoring of database servers (e.g., build tools and processes to automate repetitive work)
- Design and build KPI reporting for database systems
- Lead the design and implementation of ETL jobs to support controlled data movement throughout the environment
- Represent the database team as a subject matter expert during scoping and application architecture and design meetings, provide expertise, suggestions, and best approaches to accomplish the business objectives
- Collaborate with IT Security to improve the security posture of all database environments; design solutions with the database team to protect company data and assist database administrators with implementation
- Train and mentor junior members of the database team
- Document database systems and topology; ensure database documentation remains current.
- Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures set forth by manager
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business administration, information technology, or related field experience required
- Minimum five years’ technology operations experience with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices required; ten years’ experience preferred
- Minimum five years’ experience leading implementations of Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or relatable RDBMS required; ten years’ experience preferred
- Minimum five years’ experience in implementing operational automation using scripts required; seven years’ experience preferred
- Certification in MCTS, MCITP, MVP preferred
- Expert level knowledge implementing High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions for Microsoft SQL Server environments
- Expert level understanding of how operating systems, networks, and storage systems work with database systems
- Expert level understanding of Information Security Policies and how they relate with RDBMS systems
- Expert understanding of automating tasks (e.g. PowerShell, SQL, Python, Terraform, Ansible)
- Expert knowledge of ETL design and implementation using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and/or AWS Data Migration Services
- Expert knowledge of database performance tuning and optimization using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Expert knowledge of relational database modeling and relational database design principles
- Expert knowledge of efficient coding in SQL, TSQL, PGSQL, or equivalent
- Expert knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics
- Expert knowledge of Database Devops tools such as DBMaestro, Liquibase, Flyway
- This position is on-site at our Knoxville, TN location
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption AssistanceTuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay
- Team Member Fuel Discounts
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: ffe6eec6-b38d-4eab-a374-4d2352b7c098