General Counsel, Pilot Water Solutions
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
Pilot Water Solutions ("PWS"), a subsidiary of Pilot Flying J, is seeking a senior corporate attorney to act as the company’s chief legal advisor and report directly to the CEO. The General Counsel will perform critical strategic and tactical legal functions within the Company, and provide the PWS leadership team with effective advice on all corporate, legal, employment, safety and regulatory matters (including DOT, state and local environmental regulations, and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requirements), as well as direct and manage key PWS legal activities.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate will act as a subject matter expert and provide legal support for business development, commercial agreements and general legal guidance. This position includes the negotiation, drafting and implementation of agreements supporting a wide variety of transactions and operations (e.g., M&A, joint-ventures, acquisitions of real property interests, gathering agreements, disposal agreements, transportation service agreements, land leases with water/disposal rights, surface use agreements, rights-of-way, easements, operating agreements, MSAs, and administration of ICOA arrangements) and goods and services contracts (such as EPC agreements, MSAs, and various equipment and materials purchase contracts).
The General Counsel must be skilled at working effectively and collaboratively with management, external legal resources as well as our parent company/legal team located in Houston, Texas and Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs, and provides continuing counsel and guidance on implications of all legal matters
- Manages the company's contractual risk-transfer strategy and the contracting process; to include record-keeping and handling contract claims and appeals
- Serves as key legal advisor on all major business transactions and employment actions, including drafting and negotiating critical contracts, third party agreements, perspective business ventures, and customer/vendor/supplier/subcontractor relationships as well as resolving labor disputes and grievances
- Provides counseling on M&A transactions, working with outside counsel when warranted
- Oversees the disposition of all litigation from inception to trial, utilizing outside counsel as appropriate
- Judges the merits of court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with appropriate executives to define strategic defenses and to settle disputes when warranted
- Serves as key legal advisor on compliance with applicable laws and regulations and leads the development of key compliance tools and programs
- Manages and evaluates outside counsel
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures in legal entities
- Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Law degree with admission to Texas bar
- 6 to 10 years of applicable law practice experience at AmLaw 100 highly preferred
- 2 plus years of in-house legal experience highly preferred
- Corporate/securities/M&A experience highly preferred
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills preferred
- Ability to write business legal reports and correspondence
- Ability to respond to inquiries from regulatory agencies, customers and business community
- Strong communication skills and high emotional intelligence
- Strong business and financial acumen, as well as superior analytical and writing skills
- Exposure to or familiarity with the following areas of law: corporate/business, tax, contract, employment, labor relations, federal procurement, construction law and general litigation
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance is required
- Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources is necessary
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement