Head of Project Development, Carbon
Pilot Company is an industry-leading network of travel centers with more than 30,000 team members and over 750 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division serves as a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958 by Jim A. Haslam II and currently led by CEO Shameek Konar, our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated to fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The primary objective of this role is to help develop an industry leading approach for Pilot’s nature based carbon projects that align our projects with best-in-class voluntary carbon market standards and ensure high-quality carbon removal projects. We believe that gigaton scale CO2 drawdown will only happen if solutions are both beneficial to the environment and profitable to landowners and project proponents. This position will help support project submission to existing methodologies and standards with different registries such as Verra, American Carbon Registry, Climate Action Reserve, and new emerging climate initiatives and digital MRV.
- Lead and manage relationships with registries and standard bodies including Verra, American Carbon Registry, Climate Action Reserve, and new emerging registries and opportunities.
- Understand all aspects of nature based offset projects, registries, methodologies (IFM, ARR, etc.), and the process for issuance of carbon credits.
- Provide clarifications to the internal team regarding rules and requirements of standards and methodologies.
- Lead the preparation of carbon project descriptions and verification documentation under recognized, or new, voluntary carbon standards to achieve successfully validated projects under Verra VCS or others such as American Carbon Registry and Climate Action Reserve.
- Monitor external voluntary carbon standards to stay up to date with changes and help shape Pilot's carbon growth strategy.
- Build internal knowledge system for carbon standards and co-benefit standards.
- Lead development of revision of existing and/or new methodologies under various standards as needed.
- Stay on top of VCM best practices.
- Interface with project financing stakeholders, field implementation partners and technical teams to ensure plans reflect standards and methodology requirements.
- Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Complete other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Natural Resources Management, Environmental/Conservation Finance, Economics, or related field required
- 5+ years of experience in carbon removal methodologies and standards.
- Expertise in forest carbon projects and strong understanding of methodologies and carbon registry standard requirements.
- Proven track record within carbon project validation and verification process.
- Experience writing, updating and publishing carbon methodologies.
- Knowledge of new developments in the Voluntary Market Place, including accreditation, codes of best practices (e.g., ICROA, ICVCM, SBTi), the role of DMRV, alignment with Paris Agreement requirements (e.g., Article 6), for example.
- Familiarity with carbon offsetting (e.g., interventions in scope 3), SDG & ESG reporting, and Net Zero is a plus.
- Strong understanding of the key principles of the voluntary carbon standards such as Verra VCS/CCB and Gold Standard, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Exceptional communicator, both written and verbal, with an ability to demonstrate an executive presence in internal and external meetings.
- Excellent analytical, and strategic thinker, with proven track record of execution
- Exceptional integrity and sound judgment
- Exceptional people skills with ability to influence across functions
- Ability to set priorities, multitask, meet deadlines, and resolve problems with a high sense of urgency
- Ability to understand and work with a variety of complex interacting processes and personalities
Travel required, varies but on average likely less than 10%
- General office work requiring sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to work outside normal office hours in support of business needs
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2a7e4d68-a305-47bc-8d62-dfb13769d04f