Manager, Maintenance and Operations
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
This position is responsible for the efficient operation and maintenance of Pilot’s 24/7/365 Compressed Gas Business (CNG/Hydrogen). A successful candidate will have a strong mechanical background coupled with business operation skills to run a multi-state compressed gas (CNG/Hydrogen) business.
In this role you will:
- Develop and implement a preventative maintenance program and schedule that meets and exceeds OEM and customer expectations
- Perform preventative and emergency maintenance on mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems installed on stationary and mobile equipment.
- Manage clear and timely communication with customers, PFL transportation operations, and Pilot leadership on all maintenance activities; with top prioritization of situations that could result in an outage and work stoppage.
- Implement and manage compliance protocols at all Pilot VPL and station locations, in partnership with internal and external safety departments.
- Perform preventative maintenance and emergency maintenance on PFJ’s compressed gas equipment.
- Recruit, lead, and mentor field personnel in resolving work and interpersonal issues and supervise the daily activities of a 24/7/365 business unit.
- Manage and respond to after hour call outs as needed to meet and exceed customers’ expectations and ensure station uptime. This will require travel overnight as well as work on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Build partnerships and coordinate with 3rd party vendors to provide necessary service within company guidelines and purchasing expectations.
- Develop and prioritize maintenance, operations, and construction work assignments to maximize fueling operation service and reliability.
- Manage and align work and project completions in accordance with budget requirements and contracts. Document and communicate work results ensuring customers can fuel their vehicles by managing the maintenance and service of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree preferred or 7 years’ related work experience required
- Minimum 5 year’s mechanical equipment operation and management required.
- Minimum 5 year’s alternative fuel (CNG/H2) mechanical equipment operation and management preferred.
- Business operation skills with experience running a multi-state compressed gas virtual pipeline business.
- Minimum 3 years of team leadership experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the safe operation of high-pressure gas systems.
- Working knowledge of Hazmat and OSHA regulations.
- Basic Microsoft Office skills required; intermediate skills preferred
*Travel required up to 50-75%
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Combination of Field and office work requiring working in the elements (hot/cold/rain/snow) and sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Able to respond to phone calls at night, on weekends, and holidays as needed
- Able to work evenings and odd hours as needed
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay