Specialty Products Laboratory Chemist-El Mirage
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
The purpose of this job is to ensure the safe, efficient and accurate analysis of fuel blend components, finished fuel products and other materials essential to the Plant and to ensure conformance of all products distributed into commerce with applicable regulations and industry standards.
What you will do in this role:
- Analyze samples using gas chromatography, Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (ftIR), titration, distillation and various other methods/instruments to determine chemical and physical properties of fuel components, finished products and other materials.
- Ensure fuel components and finished products are compliant with all applicable regulatory, industry and company standards and specifications.
- Determine/update finished fuel product blends via laboratory hand-blending, analysis of components and blends and performance of industry-standard calculations.
- Maintain/update essential databases for product quality assurance, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reporting/compliance and other compliance requirements
- Perform instrument quality control and maintenance in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and more frequently as required to ensure quality assurance.
- Manage lab consumable materials, equipment and fuel/component sample inventories
- Follow all current Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Collaborate with operations team to assist with process improvement
- Maintain lab cleanliness (space, glassware, instruments, etc.) and properly dispose of waste.
- Audit operator sampling procedures to ensure proper sampling of components, finished products and other materials.
- Prepare and ship samples for third party evaluation
- BS in Chemistry or Biochemistry required
- Two years previous laboratory or wet laboratory experience preferred, including experience properly interpreting and adhering to American society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) procedures.
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) and Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Weekly Pay
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guideline