Sr Accountant, Sales Tax
Pilot Company is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The purpose of this job is to support the sales and use tax compliance function by focusing on audits, special projects, technology, and assist as needed with review and preparation of sales and use tax returns.
- Manage sales and use tax audits and reverse audits by applying knowledge of tax laws to analyze and resolve audit issues
- Handle special projects related to technology systems, new initiatives, or various other requests received from departments across the organization.
- Prepare and review multistate sales and use tax returns as needed to assist the compliance group.
- Perform research on the taxability of products and services as needed
- Lead and direct the work of others related to compliance, system changes or audit work
- Perform tax systems maintenance and customer setups as needed
- Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- Minimum four years’ multistate sales and use tax experience required
- Minimum one year supervisory experience preferred
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA exam-eligible preferred
- Vertex, Corpsales, Lawson, Infor, Avalara experience a plus
- Leading effective teams
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to set priorities, multitask, meet deadlines, and resolve problems with a high sense of urgency
- Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
- Adoption Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Schedule Weekly Pay