Technician, Ethanol Lab
Pilot Flying J is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have 750+ retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Pilot Flying J is part of the Pilot Company family of brands that keeps North America's drivers moving, including E-Z Trip, Mr. Fuel, One9 Fuel Stop, Pride, StaMart and Xpress Fuel.
The purpose of this position is to follow best available practices and procedures of a quality assurance (QA/QC) program for the ethanol plant to ensure maximum yield production and quality, while supporting the policies, goals, and objectives of the company. Individuals assigned to this position will normally be responsible for the day-to-day testing and quality control procedures as identified by the Lab Manager
In this role you will:
- Assist in implementing plant QA/QC program and adhere to plant QA/QC program based on best practice in the ethanol industry by sampling various points in the process and conducting QA/QC tests as required.
- Monitor use and inventory of laboratory chemicals and supplies.
- Operate, maintain, trouble-shoot and calibrate laboratory equipment. Perform preventative maintenance as directed.
- Complete daily rounds sheets and monitoring. Properly document all testing results; promptly communicates abnormal results as applicable.
- Perform mycotoxin sampling and testing in accordance with the mycotoxin policy.
- Analyze data and make recommendations for adjusting process conditions to ensure that QA/QC standards are met.
- Collect and send samples to outside laboratories for quality assurance testing as determined by the Laboratory Manager.
- Follows programs and procedures required to ensure laboratory and plant cleanliness.
- Maintain safety, health and environmental policies and procedures; ensure city, county, and state and federal regulations relating to the QA/QC laboratory are met at all times including performing regulatory sampling and testing, and properly disposing of all hazardous waste and sample material.
- Participate in the safety program for the QA/QC laboratory, including representation of the safety committee as applicable.
- Compliance with applicable Process Safety Management (PSM) regulations and site laboratory policies.
- Assist in coordinating activities with other departments
- Communicate directly with production department to ensure effective
- participation by the process operators in the implementation of QA/QC
- policies and procedures
- Reports through Maximo any concerns of safety or equipment
- High school diploma required. Associated degree specializing in science is preferred.
- Work experience and equivalent to two years’ experience in core essential responsibilities and duties.
- Experience with automated laboratory equipment (HPLC, GC)
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have expertise and proficiency in office computer software, e.g. word processing, e-mail and spread sheets.
- Must have the ability to work efficiently with computerized laboratory equipment.
- Valid driver’s license
- The employee must occasionally lift and/move up to 50 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
- exposed to work near mechanical parts
- The employee may be exposed to dusty conditions
- The employee is regularly exposed to high noise environments
- The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather in all conditions.
- The employee may be exposed to chemicals used in the process
* Nation-wide Medical Plan/Dental/Vision
* 401(k) Flexible Spending Accounts
* Adoption Assistance
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Weekly Pay